At the age of 35, William Savidge became enamored with the new game of golf that was spreading nationwide. Having played with friends and associates he commented that … “it would be a desirable addition to the attractions of Spring Lake and Grand Haven.”
In the early 1900’s Mr. Savidge approached the Soule family, expressing interest in purchasing their property – if it was ever to be sold – for his golf course. Savidge received a wire telling him the property was available while aboard the Lusitania bound for Europe. “Now we can have a golf course in the Tri-Cities area,” Savidge proclaimed.
His dream was realized when The Spring Lake Country Club took official form on February 6, 1911. Many family members from the original 34 stockholders remain associated with Spring Lake Country Club today. The original clubhouse was an old farmhouse which occupied the property. In 1926, a Spanish style clubhouse was erected with major additions and renovations made in 1956, 1968, 1987, 1994, 2000, 2006 and 2015.
Spring Lake Country Club recognized 100 years of tradition through its centennial celebrations in 2011 and looks forward to many more years to come!